BROODY HENS.

He everybody welcome to Skye Farm today I will be talking about the Broody hens I have 

          The Broody's        

 So three of my laying hens went broody last week : Lavender(a Lavender orpington) Olive (a olive egger) and Lemon (another Lavender orpington). I Candled their eggs yesterday and out of 53 eggs their where 23 fertile. a lot of them where green and blue which means that I might get a blue Americana! since I have 9 Americana / Easter / Egger / Aricana Hens and One Americana rooster out of my 40 all kinds of breed hens and one more lavender / blue orpington. That's why I think there is a 50 percent chance that the Americana chicks will be blue because of my Lavender rooster or brownish mix like my Americana  rooster. Anyway enough about "Blueness" and more about the broody hens. Today I tried to move Lemon into my broody coop I put plenty of fresh hay out and made her a little nesting box then put her eggs into it then with much hassle I managed to pick her up and put her in the broody coop she sat on the eggs for a second then stood up and began to peck one of the French Maran eggs. She broke it and then ate it. It was really gross. But not so long after she broke anther egg and ate it by this time I knew something was wrong she then began to push the wire netting wanting to be let out So I let her out she immediately   ran to the feeder and ate then she went to the water and drank. Then she went back to her nesting box where i took her from and sat on the straw. I brought her eggs to her and then put them under her getting pecked plenty of times. After that I decided to switch to Olive. With much hassle just like the first time I manged to get her eggs from under her put them in the broody coop nest and then picked her up (She did not hesitate to make sure I had plenty of peck marks on my hand)i put her in the coop and waited a few minutes she went on her eggs then got off and then went back on which tells you someone is a much better mom. Well stay toon beacase tomorrow we will talk all about SHEEP!


               SKYE FARM 

Comments

Popular Posts